**Optional: Pre-register for this course by joining the PIT Career Network. You can e-mail or upload your resume FREE for employment and scholarship considerations with our network of law firms and corporate sponsors.
Registration is now closed.
This course will cover the strategic and tactical execution of patent portfolio development and management from a business perspective. We will discuss the end-to-end process of portfolio management including patent portfolio strategy development, portfolio SWOT analysis, building and managing a useful global patent portfolio and culling non-strategic assets.
- On-line only, 2-hr class sessions
- Classes will be held on 4 consecutive Thursday evenings, starting July 12th – August 2nd, beginning at 6-8 PM EST.
- All classes will be recorded.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for inventors, engineers, corporate citizens, start-up companies, those wanting to understand the interplay between business, legal and technical when developing and executing a patent portfolio strategy.
How You Will Benefit
- Develop your capacity to think strategically about a patent portfolio
- Understand crafting a global patent portfolio strategy that supports a business strategy
- Identify with confidence strategic vs. non-strategic patents in a portfolio
- Become more proficient in effectively evaluating the business value of an invention
- Developing a patent portfolio strategy from a business strategy
- Patent portfolio SWOT analysis
- Filling portfolio gaps
- Processes for effectively managing a patent portfolio and executing the portfolio strategy
- Metrics for measuring progress and state of the portfolio compared to ideal state
- Mitigating risk
James Arnold, Jr is a Director-level Senior Counsel at Eastman Chemical Company with over 15 years of professional legal experience. He earned his B.A. in Chemistry with honors from Talladega College, J.D. from Howard University School of Law and his LLM in Business Transactions with honors from the University of Alabama School of Law. He has expertise in the drafting of commercial, information technology and intellectual property agreements as well management of global patent portfolios in a variety of industries including electronics; semiconductors; specialty chemicals; health care; medical devices; fluoropolymers; textiles; and fabrics. As a former Chief Intellectual Property Counsel of a Fortune 1000 company and current Senior Counsel at a Fortune 500 company, he has departmental leadership and project management experience, as well as experience in monetization of intellectual property, management of outside counsel and legal budgets, and utilization of intellectual property to accelerate growth strategies within large, complex organizations.
Note: We reserve the right to cancel this course if minimum attendance numbers are not met. In such a case, we will issue a full refund.