**Optional: Pre-register for this course by joining the PIT Career Network. You can e-mail or upload your resume FREE for employment and scholarship considerations with our network of law firms and corporate sponsors.
Registration ends 2/12/18
This course will cover the strategic and tactical execution of patent portfolio development and management from a business perspective. We will discuss the end-to-end process of portfolio management including patent portfolio strategy development, portfolio SWOT analysis, building and managing a useful global patent portfolio and culling non-strategic assets.
- On-line only, 1-hr class sessions
- Classes will be held on 4 consecutive Monday evenings, starting Feb 19th – March 12th, beginning at 7 PM EST.
- All classes will be recorded.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for inventors, engineers, corporate citizens, start-up companies, those wanting to understand the interplay between business, legal and technical when developing and executing a patent portfolio strategy.
How You Will Benefit
- Develop your capacity to think strategically about a patent portfolio
- Understand crafting a global patent portfolio strategy that supports a business strategy
- Become acquainted with patent landscaping and competitive analysis tools
- Identify with confidence strategic vs. non-strategic patents in a portfolio
- Become more proficient in effectively evaluating the business value of an invention
- Developing a patent portfolio strategy from a business strategy
- Competitive patent landscape analysis
- Patent portfolio SWOT analysis
- Filling portfolio gaps
- Processes for effectively managing a patent portfolio and executing the portfolio strategy
- Metrics for measuring progress and state of the portfolio compared to ideal state
- Mitigating risk
Riyon is a world-renowned patent strategist who develops portfolios to maximize the business value of the assets. She is co-chair of the Intellectual Asset Management Network for the Industrial Research Institute, licensing executive for the LOT Network, IP consultant, trainer and public speaker. Having prepared and prosecuted many patent applications, she is also a named inventor on several US Patents and applications.
Riyon has over 15 years of patent portfolio development experience. She currently drives innovation at TiVo Solutions to create new products and features, which can then be protected as licensable IP.
TiVo generates over half of its revenue from licensing agreements and partnerships. She plays a key role in ensuring portfolio relevance for future success. Prior to joining TiVo in 2017 she managed the Coca-Cola Freestyle team’s IP strategy and portfolio development efforts. She executed on that strategy to ensure business alignment and create customer value. She led the engineering teams through the inventive process, managed the patent portfolio and continuously analyzed the competitive IP landscape. Previously she worked with IBM’s Technology and IP Licensing group as an executive IP Strategist. There she worked with companies and research organizations around the globe to create strategic IP programs and enable them to maximize the value of their IP.
Riyon also spent several years developing an intellectual asset management software tool, Advance IP, to enable organizations to better build, manage and commercialize their IP.
Note: We reserve the right to cancel this course if minimum attendance numbers are not met. In such a case, we will issue a full refund.