**Optional: Pre-register for this course by joining the PIT Career Network. You can e-mail or upload your resume FREE for employment and scholarship considerations with our network of law firms and corporate sponsors.
Registration is now closed.
This course will cover patent preparation and prosecution basics. Patent drafting and prosecution is a high-level skill set requiring a wide knowledge base and efficiency. Students will build on their basic claim drafting skills by learning the rules, regulations, customs, and practices for dealing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when filing and prosecuting patent applications. Students will draft one complete patent application with specification and claims and one response to a USPTO Office Action.
The course format includes traditional lecture & discussion to cover theory and general principles, plus regularly scheduled clinicals with a practicing patent prosecution attorney. During the clinical, the practicing attorney will discuss and provide feedback on the patent application and response prepared during the course.
- On-line only, 2-hr class sessions
- Classes will be held on 4 consecutive Thursday evenings, starting August 30th – September 20th from 6-8 PM EST.
- All classes will be recorded.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for inventors and persons wanting to become technical specialists, patent agents, or patent attorneys.
How You Will Benefit
- Gain exposure to the patent preparation and prosecution process
- Gain exposure to the methodologies for drafting/prosecuting a patent application
- Gain exposure to strategies used to broaden patent application claims
- Gain exposure to refining patent specifications in accordance with the claims and drawings
- Gain exposure to the various types of patent applications and how to effectively use each
- Patent Preparation
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Strategy
- Broadening Out Patentable Embodiments
- Understanding Various Patent Types
Required – Student Must Provide:
- Computer with video, audio, & microphone capabilities